Re: [HSSG] Yet another topic for consideration - bit parallel

Title: Yet another topic for consideration - bit parallel

Jim,

Regarding your question on serial implementations:

The state of the art, as far as I know, on higher speed serial transmission modules which are commercially available today, is 40 Gb/s (see OC-768 ports on core routers).

A typical device of this type, used for relatively short distances, has an SFI-5 interface (OIF spec) which is 16 x 2.5 Gb/s with the proper de-skew mechanisms on the system side, connecting on a PCB to a SONET framer (or in principle could connect to an Ethernet MAC chip). On the optical side it is 40 Gb/s serial.

Inside such modules you will typically find Silicon-Germanium (SiGe)  Serializer and Deserializer chips which have a 40 Gb/s electrical interface. The serial 40 Gb/s Tx electrical signal drives an optical modulator (e.g. Electro-Absorption-Modulator or EAM) and hence generates the serial optical bit stream at 40 Gb/s. The 40 Gb/s optical Rx signal goes into a PIN diode which connects electrically to a preamplifier or directly into the Deserializer.

Modules of this type usually run with NRZ data. Some of these modules can run as high as 43 Gb/s which allows the application of Forward Error Correction techniques prior to the SFI-5 interface on the system side (which becomes 16 x 2.7 Gb/s) and thus adding 3 – 6 dB to the link budget (depending on the type of FEC used).

The market inputs we received in the pre-CFI phase indicated strong preference for HSSG to go higher than 40Gb/s. If that input will stay consistent in the next few months we will have to go to “multiple lanes” (Physical Link Aggregation). The question is how many lanes and at what speed....

Regards,

Menachem