Re: [HSSG] Jumbo frames

The primary reason for not including jumbo frames in 802.3 is that
they don't do any good in the real world, where higher speed links
are used to aggregate traffic from lower speed links. The situation
where they can help is in benchmark tests performed between
compatible systems, in the absence of TCP offload.

FDDI supported frames up to 4500 bytes. Benchmarks running on
systems connected via FDDI yielded higher throughput and lower
CPU utilization when the tests were run with 4500 byte packets
than with 1500 byte packets.

However, as soon as you tried to deploy a server with an FDDI
interface, you quickly discovered that it had to talk to Ethernet
clients via an L2 bridge or an L3 router. Many such devices were
fielded with a claimed ability to fragment 4500 byte FDDI packets
down to 1500 bytes on Ethernet. Few of them worked very well, so
most of the time, you had to throttle the MTU on the server's FDDI
interface down to 1500 bytes. Away went the performance gain from
using jumbo frames. In fact, I would say that the exact frame format
compatibility between Ethernet and Fast Ethernet (including the frame
size) was one of the key reasons why Fast Ethernet displaced FDDI
so rapidly in enterprise backbones, even though FDDI had a head start
of over 5 years in the market.

When we started the Gigabit Ethernet project, several people told us
that we had to add jumbo frames to the standard. We didn't, and the
industry hasn't suffered from our decision. Indeed, I think we saved
ourselves from a lot of interoperability problems, and we learned
how to build servers, switches, and routers that could drive a
Gigabit Ethernet interface at wire speed using 1500 byte packets.
Today, TOEs are much more commonly used than they were in the 1990s,
and with a TOE, as Pat pointed out, jumbos don't give you much if
any benefit, but they do introduce a host of problems.

Various implementations support jumbo frames, and there is nothing
wrong with this. Occasionally, jumbo frames can be employed to good
effect between compatible systems operating under controlled
conditions. However, this is vastly different from writing jumbo
frames into the world's most popular networking standard, with the
attendant implication that they can be used with impunity.

I think it is a healthy exercise to have this discussion, but I am
not aware of any factor that makes this higher speed activity
different from its predecessors insofar as jumbo frames are concerned.
Therefore, I think that our previous conclusion is still valid:
jumbo frames do not belong in IEEE Std 802.3.

Howard Frazier
Broadcom Corporation