Re: [HSSG] Jumbo frames

Kevin-

Thanks for your contribution.

A decision to support an project that mandates support of jumbo frames would, in my opinion, take the study group into a quagmire. This would be an effort towards a goal that was not even mentioned in the Call For Interest nor mentioned in the discussion leading up to the vote on forming the Study Group.

To go here would, I believe, be a betrayal of the trust laid on the group by 802.3.

Having said that, I do not believe that there is any reason why:
        - Folks shouldn't build HSSG hardware in a manner that supports Jumbo Frames
        - Folks shouldn't (again) bring the topic up in 802.3
They just should not try to glue that requirement to this project rather than use the appropriate process in 802.3.

There isn't anything inherently "wrong" with jumbo frames and there isn't any reason why links and MACs shouldn't be able to transmit and receive them. The issue comes when you try to integrate them into the existing world. If you have a world of streets and railroad crossings (sorry, I grew up in a railroad town) lots of folks will scream bloody murder when you go from 50 car trains to 250 car trains. It is the integration with other traffic at switch points that is the the problem.

If folks want to build homogenous jumbo frame networks, more power to them. We have never quite figured how to put that in the standard without it seeming like we were trying to integrate them with legacy networks.

Bottom line. This is an entirely different discussion from what we are supposed to be doing which is higher speed.

I would request that those who want to jumbo frames set up their own discussion forum on a different distribution list.

Geoff Thompson