[HSSG] <HSSG-FO> Teleconference Minutes

Title:

Fellow HSSG Members,

The Fiber Optic Adhoc met on 10/18/06 at 9am PDT to discuss Objectives of the AdHoc and plan for our upcoming plenary meeting.

Attendees:

Thomas Fischer - Siemens Germany
Shashi Patel - Foundry
Herb VanDeusen - Gore
Rick Pimpenella - Panduit
Bret Lane - Panduit
Bipin Dhama - Psyoptical
Piers Dawe - Avago
Jugno Ojha - Avago
Lisa Huff - Nexans
Kamal Ali - Gennum
Pete Anslow - Nortel Networks
Peter Dartnell - Brookham
Frank Chang - Vitesse
Arne Alping - Ericsson
Wenbin Jiang - JDSU
Bipin Dama - Sioptical
Chris Cole – Finisar
Allesandro Barbieri – Cisco
Hugh Barass - Cisco

Preface:

We started off with a monologue by the chair (me) about how I envision the adhoc moving forward. First off, I re-iterated that the objective of the adhoc is to evaluate the technical and economic feasibility of various fiber-optic approaches to higher speed fiber, and that we are not going to provide a recommendation to the HSSG. Then I indicated that due to lack of time, we are unlikely to have an opportunity to take in presentations prior to the plenary, so presentations should be intended for the November meeting. If we meet as an adhoc in November, it will be to organize future meetings and schedules, but presentations should be intended for the larger group.

Regarding our process for moving forward, I offered was that we could create a graphic representation for a given data rate that displayed the relationship between baud rate, number of channels, and data rate with areas where technical and economic feasibility were more likely, and others where T & E were less likely, and from that basis provide direction to the HSSG. There appeared (through lack of an alternative proposal) to be consensus on this approach.

Example:

See http://www.dovenetworking.com/images/ratevschannel.jpg

Then we chose to start off the process by excluding areas where we determined reasonable bounds would exist. For example, 100 channels at 1G/s we determined as a reasonable exclusion. So we determined that a set of channel assumptions could be made (note, these channels may be parallel optical or WDM or a combination thereof) and we decided to exclude all data rates other than 80G, 100G, and 120G.

I should note that the adhoc made these exclusions and assumptions with an understanding that the HSSG may disagree and request us to re-address any particular baud or channel number. The primary objective of this exercise was to give the adhoc a direction to proceed until we have an opportunity to narrow down our activity based on HSSG direction.

Notes:

If I made any errors or omissions on this report, please contact me directly and I will update it for publication on the IEEE802.3 HSSG website.

Regards,

Dan

----
Chairman IEEE802.3 HSSG FO adhoc
Principal Engineer - LAN PHY Technology
Dove Networking Solutions - Serving ProCurve
(916)785-4187 (Office)
(530)389-9315 (home office)
(530)906-3683 (cell)
www.dovenetworking.com