Re: [802.3BA] 5 Criteria mod to support 40 G on SMF

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Howard Frazier wrote:

> We haven't had any problem with Distinct Identity over the last 16 years
> that we have been cranking up the operating speed of Ethernet. Customers
> know when to use 10 Mb/s, 100 Mb/s, 1000 Mb/s and 10 Gb/s. They will
> be able to draw the same distinction between 40 Gb/s and 100 Gb/s,
> regardless of what media types are supported.

End user perspective from me.

There is a distinct difference of factor 10 between the older
technologies. Now all of a sudden we would have 10GE, 40GE and 100GE in
the same 10km range space. I do not think 40GE has DI in this context.
There are quite a few solutions where 4*10GE will satisfy 40GE need,
whereas very few platforms support 10*10GE in an efficient way.

If there is any risk 40GE will increase price of 100GE by means of
fragmenting the market and removing focus from 100GE development and
volume then I think 40GE 10km reach should be rejected.

Only reason for 40GE would be if it had a possibility of being carried in
an OC768 link because then it could be used for DWDM interconnect, by from
what I've heard 100G is being developed for the DWDM space and seems to be
going forward quite rapidly, meaning by 2010 DWDM equipment will be ready
for 100GE and people won't want to use 40GE for that either.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@swm.pp.se