Re: [802.3BA] 802.3ba XR ad hoc next step concern

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, Chalupsky, David wrote:

If I have the choice between:
A) carry two product SKUs: 100m and 150m, with 5% Bill of Material cost delta on the 150m product; or
B) carry only the 150m product
I would accept option B & use only the 150m module even though I know that most of my customers will use it at <100m.

I agree here, I know plenty of ISPs who use only single mode optics even though cost is at least 50% higher, just because it keeps down on spare parts and cables. It also means the people doing the planning don't have to know a lot about the different types of optics and have to research the exact length of the cable before deciding what optics to use.

Having two different reaches for MM cabling with the small cost difference you're mentioning is not something I believe the market will be happy about. Go with one of them, and if the difference is that small, go with the more expensive, higher reach one.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike@xxxxxxxxx