[RE] Video question

Video distribution has been used here as an example of a high-bandwidth
residential application. I can't remember if anyone got specific about what
delivery format would be used. A raw 24-bit RGB format such as provided by
DVI or HDMI would be a contender. I've just looked up some uncompressed
video data rates:

NTSC: ~200Mbit
720i HDTV: 0.8Gbit
720p HDTV: 1.4Gbit <- US HDTV broadcast (de facto) standard
1080i HDTV: 1.9Gbit

Seems a forward-looking medium for transmission of uncompressed video
streams must provide more than one gigabit of bandwidth. Am I missing
something? What compressed video format(s) would be applicable to
residential video distribution?

Kevin Gross, Director, Network Technology
Direct: 303-245-5503, Main: 303-245-5500, Fax: 303-245-5576
Commercial Audio division, Cirrus Logic, Inc.
2500 55th Street, Suite 210, Boulder, CO 80301
kevin.gross@cirrus.com, www.cirrus.com <www.peakaudio.com>