[802SEC] Re: What's New @ IEEE in Wireless, November 2001

During a meeting in Austin, we discussed the fact that people in the
IEEE staff but outside the IEEE-SA often misunderstand critical
issues regarding IEEE standards.

Here is an example of something I received yesterday in the "WHAT'S
NEW @ IEEE IN WIRELESS" newsletter:

>NEW WIRELESS NETWORK STANDARD COMING SOON: The IEEE's tentative approval of
>the new 802.11g standard is a boost for wireless networking and a step
>toward higher wireless Internet speeds.
><http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1004-200-7892860.html>

I don't think that 802.11 is representing 802.11g as a "tentatively
approved standard". It's hard to control the press, but it's
definitely more difficult to get the point across accurately when
people at IEEE echo it indiscriminately.

How about a discussion at the Standards Board about an IEEE policy
that IEEE news publications should confirm stories about IEEE
standards prior to publication?

Roger