Re: [802SEC] +++EC Email Ballot+++ Allocation of Funds for the Acquisition of Wireless Access Points for Plenary Meeting Network Support

After some consideration, I vote Approve.

According to the datasheet found at the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_data_sheet09186a00800937a6.html#wp1001907

the transmit power levels for the "K9" AP are adjustable.

For the 802.11a radio, the transmit power level can be set to

40 mW (16 dBm)
20 mW (13 dBm)
10 mW (10 dBm)
5 mw (7 dBm)

For the 802.11b radio, the transmit power level can be set to

100 mW (20 dBm)
50 mW (17 dBm)
30 mW (15 dBm)
20 mW (13 dBm)
10 mW (10 dBm)
5 mW (7 dBm)
1 mW (0 dBm)

The same transmit power levels are available for the 802.11g
radio when using CCK. When using OFDM, the transmit power
levels for the 802.11g radio can be set to

30 mW (15 dBm)
20 mW (13 dBm)
10 mW (10 dBm)
5 mW (7 dBm)
1 mW (0 dBm)

The "K9" also has both omni and hemispherical 5 GHz antennas, as
well as two RP-TNC connectors for external antennas.

Being more familiar with "conductively enabled" network technology,
I profess no expertise in the area of "dielectrically enabled" networks,
so I may be misinterpretting both the facts and the implications of
this data. I will note that the "K9" can be "conductively empowered",
which would seem to be a good thing, though the datasheet makes no
mention of IEEE Std 802.3af-2003.

My knowledge of APs is very limited, so I don't know if other
commercially available units provide similar capabilities. I
do think that a price of $700 per "K9" is far too expensive. However,
when one considers the discount we will receive on the first 24 units,
and the price that Buzz has found for the remaining 20 units, the
average cost per unit would work out to be approximately $337,
and this seems reasonable, given the capabilities of the device.
I assume that the $567 price that Buzz found is for a dual radio/tri-mode
device.

I started with the same objections as Bob and Mat. If my analysis
is incorrect, then I will change my vote to Disapprove.

Howard