Re: [802SEC] Plenaries outside N.A.

Colleagues-

As one who thoroughly enjoys traveling to foreign destinations and who has
been to every 802 overseas plenary, I have to say that I thoroughly agree
with everything that Buzz has said below on this topic. When we have gone
overseas as 802 in the past (with a vastly smaller group than we have now)
the meetings were a delightful deviation from the usual but not
particularly productive as meetings go.

I have to say the same is true for our meetings in Hawaii. The excuse was
given at the time that Hawaii was a preferred venue because of its
proximity to the Far East. It is my opinion that having the meetings on the
outer islands destroyed a great deal of that advantage and made those
meetings fall under great suspicion as a boondoggle. (Honolulu would have
been more defensible.)

It is appropriate at this point to put in a word of sympathy for our
friends and colleagues from the Middle East and India.  They have few
prospects for having a meeting in their home region and are stuck with a
long trip almost wherever we decide.

With respect to overseas:
         Venues are smaller and fewer.
         Charging methods for meeting space are less favorable.
         Exchange rates are punitively unfavorable at this point.

And, we have to squarely face the issue of just what we are trying to
accomplish. My assumption is that we are trying to increase participation
(as opposed to one-time attendance) from leading-edge designers around the
world. We may get some small increase from having a meeting once in their
home area to suck them in but I doubt it. Our overseas meetings in the past
have had a significant number of one-timers who roughly made up
(numerically) for the regular attendees who didn't come. I am hard pressed
(unfortunately) to come up with what was accomplished other than a little
good publicity and make one-time easier travel for the Europeans. This was
a trade-off against reduced participation from a non-trivial number of
regulars.

So we need to make a carefully considered decision.
Who is it that we are trying to attract and what will it take to bring them
in as sustained contributors?
What will the cost be in terms of the loss from the current population of
sustained contributors?
What will it cost (money, hassle, complexity, risk) in terms of meeting
planning?
Is it worth it?

These are all tough questions. I don't believe the answer is a foregone
conclusion. I believe that we need to actively recruit overseas
participants for participation in an ad hoc during the plenary to explore
the possibilities. I believe that this will require a pro-active effort as
(I suspect) those for whom English is non-native are somewhat slow to
volunteer, especially those who are new to 802.

(A separate thought here. Maybe we should (as a possible alternative) take
a deep look at what we could do to make our current venues and meetings
more friendly to foreign, ESL attendees.)

I hope all of this is of some help.

Best regards and Happy Holidays,

         Geoff