Re: [802SEC] +++EC Email Ballot+++ENDS 29 MAR+++ motion to approve contributi...

Dear EC Members,

I have reviewed the proposed liaison and some of the email
traffic with regard to it.

I am prepared to approve the letter with the following
observations.

1) While I have sympathy for the addition wrt 802.20 that
Joanne requested at the EC, I believe it may be inappropriate
for the EC to add it as an editorial change. If the removal
of this phrase is needed to get majority approval it
should be removed.

While it is obvious to me that 802.20 should want to be
included in any such work, it is their responsability to
bring forth such a letter. Should it be removed, I
encourage Joanne to send such a liaison at the next 802.20
session and I look forward to observing the result.

2) The following is a nit, and I am prepared to
follow the majority if its a no-op to them.

802.17 had many communications with ITU-T SG 15 over
the course of our development. We tended to refer to
Draft P802.17 or Draft P802.17-DX.Y (whatever the current
revision) rather then Draft 802.17-????. I believe
it is more correct to refer to Draft 802.16e (or Draft
802.16e.LocalDraftNamingConvention) as there will never be
a Draft 802.16e-200X since the suffic is added once it is
approved as a standard.

3) I believe that the removal of "and regulatory" from
the phrase "technical and regulatory experts" is appropriate
unless Mr. Lynch can state that his group had reviewed
and approved the liaison.

4) As to the overlap of scope with 802.16e and 802.20 I
was reminding by Gary Robinson at the 802-SAB joint meeting
that the original reason for the existance of dot groups was
overlap of scope on basic wired MACs and the inability of a
single MAC to be selected in 802.

So the fact that the projects have some overlap is nothing
new to 802 and I don't see it as a reason to delay an
ongoing liaison activity.

cheers,

mike

--
Michael Takefman              tak@cisco.com
Distinguished Engineer,       Cisco Systems