Re: [802SEC] Proposed action on 802.15.3a PAR withdrawal

Bob / All,

For the sake of brainstorming here are some possible resolutions:

1) Reduce consensus level to 66%

2) Entity balloting

4) Task Group membership

4) Mandatory PAR split if predefined stalemate conditions occur

I don't advocate one particular route or another, but all of these have
been suggested as potential parts of a solution.

Another issue is cross task group / cross working group / sponsor level
influence.  If you have two Task Groups working on potentially competing
technologies can they block each other?  Also, people seem more apt to
cross working groups lately if they see activities in that other group
as competing with their own.  In the past they were willing to live and
let live.  This seems less true today.  Also, even if you get a standard
through at the WG level, there is still the sponsor ballot.  Any
interested party can participate there and kill something if they feel
it competes with a different solution that they advocate.

Personally I advocate a process which is more procedural and less
judgmental.  We have set ourselves up through the PAR / 5 criteria and
WG processes as judge and jury as to whether a project has merit, and
which sets of technologies should be allowed to proliferate.  I'd rather
see us merely be an instrument and forum for the development and
documentation of solid specifications, and let the market decide.  The
specifications that succeed in the market will be come the standards
that further generations of specifications are based on.  We need a
process that reduces the potential gains available (or ability) to block
work on a basis of market addressed, or technology used.

At least that's my view.

Regards,

Mat

Matthew Sherman, Ph.D.