From: Paul Nikolich [mailto:paul.nikolich@ATT.NET]
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 8:12 AM
To: STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: [802SEC] Opening Plenary Meeting Changes and New Member Introduction Meeting reminder

Dear EC members,

I will organize and run the opening plenary meeting differently in March than we have had in the past.

I will not have each WG/TAG chair present their status update slides. Rather, you must send them to me and Bob O'Hara 1 week prior to the opening plenary meeting (27 Feb), whereupon Bob will put your slide decks on the website for participants to review.

My goal is to make the opening plenary meeting more informative and interactive.  The meeting will be organized as follows:
- opening remarks (by me and EC members as appropriate) 15min,
- Q&A with entire EC 15min,
- presentation by someone from Staff or EC on a specific topic (this time by Michael Lindsay) 15min,
- Q&A on the presentation 15min,
- closing remarks 1min.

I would like you to send me any major items you believe are deserve special mention during the opening remarks.

A more detailed draft agenda I have in my mind at the moment follows.  Suggestions on improvements are welcome.

1) Opening Remarks: 15 minutes
The ususual boilerplate stuff--Financial Report, Patent Policy, Membership Policy, general announcements (election notice, tutorials, new
PARs, any major items EC members would like me to highlight, etc.) (Nikolich, Sherman, Thaler, Rigsbee, Hawkins, O'Hara)

2) Q&A with EC members (Nikolich moderates): 15 minutes

3) presentation: 15 minutes
Michael Linday (SA attorney) The dos and don'ts of IEEE SA 802 Standards Development
a)  imperative priniciples: due process, openeness, consensus, balance, right of appeal
b) code of ethics: safety, avoid conflict of interest, honesty, reject bribery, technical focus by qualified experts, be open to and provide honest
criticism, fair treament for all, avoid injuring others reputations, assist colleagues in professional development
c) intellectual property: essential IP and LOA; copyright policy, trademark useage
d) idemnification policy

4) Q&A based on presentation: 14 minutes (Nikolich moderates)
I will also announce the location/time for further discussion on this topic if there is sufficient interest.  If we have an empty tutorial slot we'll put it there.

5) Closing remarks, notices: 1 minute. (Nikolich)

Hopefully this will make for a much more valuable utilization of the time we get to address the entire 802 assembly in one room.

Also, please remember that Pat Thaler is organizing a 'new member introduction' meeting to be held Monday morning--please let your groups know about this new feature.  Pat--please send a note to the EC reflector with the topics you plan to have covered during this meeting.  Pat will have a Vice Chair present (David Law has volunteered this time) and it will be good to have a representative from each WG/TAG present to help field questions specific to that group--so please ask your group if a knowledgable member would be willing and available to participate in this meeting.

Regards,

--Paul