From: Geoff Thompson [mailto:gthompso@nortel.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 6:37 AM
To: Grow, Bob
Cc: STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org; David_Law@3com.com;
scarlson@hspdesign.com; mike_mccormack@TI.COM; bbooth@QUAKETECH.COM
Subject: Re: [802SEC] Proposed 802.3an news release

Bob-

I vote DISAPPROVE (I figure I should vote early as my vote doesn't count
and it has comments) for the following reasons

10GBASE-T does NOT provide "interconnection speeds of 10 gigabytes per
second"

The 2nd paragraph needs to be rewritten, it does not serve us well to
call attention to the CSMA/CD aspect of the MAC for 10G portions of the
standard.

Whether or not users get to "to leverage their installed Ethernet ...
cabling" is arguable and certainly not a dependable or trivial
assertion.

I think your quote of "It reflects Ethernet's continual evolution toward
higher speeds in response to the huge demand for high-bandwidth
services, such as video-on-demand and ever-increasing data
transmission." is somewhat off the mark as it implies that the market
for this standard is for user end connections which is a crock
(Reference Network World's recent article (which I do have some argument
with) that even 1000BASE-T installations are a waste of money).

It is not untrue but it is misleading. I believe that it would be more
constructive to say that it is directed at "data center and leading edge
end-station applications."

I would rather strip out the Corr 1 portion of the announcement. It
should go to a completely different audience. Is it our general practice
to issue press releases for Corrigenda? I wouldn't think so. If it is,
it deserves its own release so we don't get the messages muddied and the
identity between the two confused.

I am not wild about the Corr 1 wording either. Has it been agreed upon
by Steve, David and Mike?

Best regards,

Geoff