Re: [802SEC] Proposed 802.3an news release

Bob-

I vote DISAPPROVE (I figure I should vote early as my vote doesn't count
and it has comments) for the following reasons

10GBASE-T does NOT provide "interconnection speeds of 10 gigabytes per second"

The 2nd paragraph needs to be rewritten, it does not serve us well to call
attention to the CSMA/CD aspect of the MAC for 10G portions of the standard.

Whether or not users get to "to leverage their installed Ethernet ...
cabling" is arguable and certainly not a dependable or trivial assertion.

I think your quote of "It reflects Ethernet's continual evolution toward
higher speeds in response to the huge demand for high-bandwidth services,
such as video-on-demand and ever-increasing data transmission." is somewhat
off the mark as it implies that the market for this standard is for user
end connections which is a crock (Reference Network World's recent article
(which I do have some argument with) that even 1000BASE-T installations are
a waste of money).

It is not untrue but it is misleading. I believe that it would be more
constructive to say that it is directed at "data center and leading edge
end-station applications."

I would rather strip out the Corr 1 portion of the announcement. It should
go to a completely different audience. Is it our general practice to issue
press releases for Corrigenda? I wouldn't think so. If it is, it deserves
its own release so we don't get the messages muddied and the identity
between the two confused.

I am not wild about the Corr 1 wording either. Has it been agreed upon by
Steve, David and Mike?

Best regards,

Geoff