Re: [802SEC] +++ LMSC P&P Revision Ballot +++ WG Voting Procedures

I vote disapprove primarily due to 7.2.4.3

7.2.4.3  I agree with Mike Takefman's comments on the attempt to define
"technical issues." I don't think that the definition of "technical
issues" clarifies the boundary between technical and procedure much. Is
adoption of a down select process a technical or non-technical vote?
With no definition some say it is and some say it isn't. With this
definition, some would say that it does not impact the substance of
output documents because it doesn't directly say what goes into the
draft, others would say that in defining how the material to go into the
draft is selected it does impact the substance of the draft. Grey area
remains grey. I don't understand why "procedural" became
"non-technical."

I think the section was better before we touched it. Chair's discretion
included the choice on the chair's part to put a procedural issue to a
50% vote.

The one problem I see with the section is that there are various things
that aren't technical like directed positions or waiving of term limits
that are required to have votes. WGs may also have Working Group rules
that require votes on some non-technical issues. Perhaps "non-technical
issues" should be "non-technical issues that are not covered by other
voting rules in the LMSC or Working Group P&P." (substitute what ever
you usually use for self-refering ot the P&P.)

Some picky points:
7.2.4.3 1st sentence might read better: "The Chair of the Working Group
may decide non-technical issues or may allow a non-technical issue to be
decided by a motion.
7.2.4.2.1 increases the quorum requirement for any group with an even
number of members by one member (changes a greater than or equal to half
requirement to majority which is greater than one half).

The text of 7.2.4.2.3 says the WG chair has discretion on what can be
decided by electronic ballot which isn't quite consistant with other
parts of the rules that require certain votes to take place at a
plenary. Text of 7.2.4.2.3:
"7.2.4.2.3 Voting by Electronic Ballots
Other matters may also be decided by an electronic ballot at the
discretion of the Working Group Chair.
The response time for these ballots shall be at least fifteen days."
For example, 7.2.2 says that WG chairs are elected at plenary sessions.
Possibly we should add: "Except for votes that are explicitly required
to take place at a meeting,"

Pat Thaler