[802SEC] Motion to approve the attached EC position statement regarding the SC6 review of 8802-1

Dear EC Members,

Per the below email I sent you last Friday (http://www.ieee802.org/secmail/msg08457.html) , a revised version of the IEEE 802 position statement on the review of the 8802-1 and related documents by SC6 is attached for EC approval.

To that end I need two EC members to move and second the below resolution.  Please respond immediately, as I want to kick off this ballot as early as possible today, Friday 8 September.

Motion: The 802 LMSC EC resolves to adopt the attached position statement (appropriately edited to remove the "DRAFT" and "Change History" text)
Moved-tbd
Seconded-tbd

As soon as I get a mover and seconder on record, I will initiate the email ballot.  The ballot will close 17 Sept 2006.

Regards,

--Paul Nikolich

  a.. To: STDS-802-SEC@listserv.ieee.org
  b.. Subject: [802SEC] request for input from 802 EC members regarding 8802-1 review
  c.. From: Paul Nikolich <paul.nikolich@ATT.NET>
  d.. Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 11:40:57 -0400

Dear EC Members,

In an e-mail sent to this reflector two weeks ago a process was outlined to develop an IEEE 802 LMSC position on potential revisions to ISO/IEC TR 8802-1:2001, which documents a cooperation process between IEEE 802 LMSC and ISO/IEC JTC1/SC6/WG1.

Since that time a small group has contributed to a draft position IEEE 802 LMSC statement for submission to Robin Tasker (editor of 8802-1) by 27 Sept 06. Andrew Myles coordinated the activity and developed the draft position statement in the attached powerpoint document. Contributions were received from Geoff Thompson, Steve Mills, Pat Thaler, David Law, Andrew Myles, Gary Robinson, Bob Pritchard and Paul Nikolich. The draft position does not necessarily represent the views of all contributors.

The original plan was to have a teleconference next week to discuss the position statement. However, the lack of response from the EC (and, presumably, their WG/TAG membership) suggests this is probably not a useful exercise. The lack of response is not surprising because, although the the relationship with ISO/IEC is important, it is "esoteric standards work", orthogonal to the interests of most Working Group members.

A slightly modified process to approve this document will now be followed:

  a.. The draft position statement is attached to this e-mail for comments by the 802 EC. Comments should be sent to the 802 EC reflector and cc'ed to Andrew Myles (andrew.myles@cisco.com). The closing date for comments is 5pm ET on Thursday, 7 Sept 06.
  b.. Andrew Myles will generate an updated version of the draft position statement based on these comments by 7am ET on Friday, 8 Sept 06.
  c.. The 8 Sept 06 version will be sent out for EC approval via an 802 EC e-mail ballot on 8 Sept 06. The ballot will close on 17 Sept 06.
  d.. If the EC ballot fails, Andrew Myles will make further changes early in the week during the IEEE 802.11 WG interim session in Melbourne and a second 802 EC e-mail ballot will be issued with a closing date of 26 Sept 06.
  e.. I want to avoid a second EC e-mail ballot--hence the 1-7 Sept comment period--please, please, please provide your input prior to 5 pm ET 7 Sept 06.
  f.. Assuming a position statement is approved, it will be sent to Robin Tasker on 26 Sept 06.
Andrew Myles is available to discuss the draft position statement at any time after 5am (3pm ET) any day next week on +61 2 84461010 (W) or +61 418 656587 (M).

xx-06-xxxx-04-000-review of 8802-1.ppt