Re: [802SEC] EC Email Ballot: 802.17b Revised PAR to NesCom

Mike:

Your message somewhat confuses me.  The submittal deadline for the
December meeting is Oct 16, you could do business in November for the
next available NesCom continuous processing cycle.  Also, a modified PAR
of this sort can be on the NesCom agenda at the same time the project is
on the RevCom agenda.  If you hope to catch RevCom Jan continuous
processing, then getting the modified PAR approved in advance is
appropriate.

It appears to me that you are running this modified PAR for four reasons

1.  To replace a hyphen with "Part 17:" as in the current title of IEEE
Std 802.17-2004.
2.  To insert "(RPR)" in the title.
3.  To make capitalization changes in the base document part of the
title consistent with IEEE Std 802.17-2004.
4.  To make capitalization changes in the amendment title.

I do not believe a modified PAR is required for any of this even though
you may receive RevCom comments about title differences.  An amendment
is not allowed to change the title of the base document and therefore
items 1 through 3 should be done by the publication editor independent
of what is on the draft or PAR.

I believe this uses the current on-line modified PAR form.  (The current
on-line amendment PAR form does not allow modification of the base
document title.  It only allows one to fill in what follows
"Amendment".)

In my experience all changes also fall within the latitude granted in
RevCom conventions for approval.  Yes some might comment, but the
response is the RevCom convention 4a:

"Editorial changes to the title on the submitted draft and submittal
form may be allowed as long as there is no change in the scope or
purpose of the project as noted on the approved PAR."

On change 4, the only change is capitalization which is a
non-substantive change that the publication editor can choose to make
with or without ballot group approval or RevCom review.  You could
include a recommendation on capitalization change to the publication
editor as part of the submittal package.

That said, you haven't stated your objective stated in a response to
another EC member to make the base document portion of the title
consistent with IEEE Std 802.17-2004.

1.  "Technology" needs to change to "technology".
2.  The "&" needs to change to "and"
3.  Find a way to allow the modified PAR form to include mashes as the
hyphen on the draft should be changed to an edams at publication. ;-)

Nonetheless, I vote approve in the event you believe it is still
necessary to do this modified PAR.

--Bob Grow