Re: [802SEC] +++EC Email ballot (closes no later than 25SEP2006)+++ Motion to approve the attached EC SC6 recommendation

Paul/Colleagues-

I have to join Carl and recommend that these slides be DISAPPROVED

Please examine these points carefully. I believe they are worthy of
consideration

The text, early on (slide 4) says:
         - • 8802-1 should be modified so that international
standardisation can always be achieved ...

...which (were there an appropriate WTO case and were I supporting the
"other" side) I would take as evidence for presentation to the judging
body: "Here, the IEEE even admits that they are NOT a lower case
international standard unless they are blessed by ISO/IEC.

I do not think we want to say that
I do not think that is the case
I think is not an appropriate position for 802 to take wrt the position
that the IEEE-SA takes for its standards.

Slide 7 statements open a Pandora's box of issues that might well be
nurturing to a relationship with SC6.

Slide 9, last bullet
Change:
A potential benefit for 802 of a cooperative relationship with ISO/IEC is
that it provides 802 WG’s with the option of establishing "international
standard" status for an 802.x standard through ISO/IEC using a simple
documented cooperation process.

To:
A potential benefit for 802 of a cooperative relationship with ISO/IEC is
that it provides 802 WG’s with the option of widening "international
standard" recognition for an 802.x standard through ISO/IEC using a simple
documented cooperation process

Slide 11:
The title:
"8802-1 should be modified so that international standardisation can always
be achieved ..."
should be changed per my critique of slide 4 above.

I support slides 12 through 21

Please carefully consider these items and reconsider your vote

Sincerely,

Geoff Thompson