From: Pat Thaler [mailto:pthaler@broadcom.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 4:15 PM
To: Rigsbee, Everett O; STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: RE: [802SEC] Responses on venue for March 2009 - Please VOTENow !!!

Buzz,

The lunch part was based on this statement from your earlier reply to my
concern about lunch and dinner spot availability close to the hotel:

"Hi Pat,    Fees for facilities use are usually negotiable as part of
the
contract deal.  That would include such things as pool, fitness center,
and Internet Connectivity.  I would expect that we can get such items as
part of our bundled Group rate especially since we are paying a large
lump-sum to get direct access to their High-Speed Internet Access
Service Link.  Breakfasts are included with the rooms, and we will cover
buffet lunches for all registered attendees."

$40 per day per lunch is not acceptable. Did the casual "we will cover
lunches" mean by increasing registration about $200?

Most of us do not eat enough at lunch to be worth that. I don't expect
our constituents will look kindly on an extra $200 in meeting fees to
get lunch thrown in. Given that and the location of the hotel, what do
you suggest we do to handle lunch?

Our normal registration has been $400. Your memo said $800 to break
even. $500 per attendee means a $300 delta times 1000 attendees =
$300,000. The treasurer's report showed a net surplus from March 2007 of
133K and a projected surplus from July 2007 of 81K and we have talked
about whether to reduce registration or use this to subsidize non-NA
plenaries. San Diego showed a surplus of $105K. So that seems do-able as
the subsidy for a low attendence turn-out.

I think it would be acceptable to kick up late registration by $200
instead of our usual $100 as well but I think 60 days out for late
registration is kind of far. I'd rather see 45 days which would let most
attendees attend their interims and then decide whether they were going
to the plenary.

Prior experience with 802.1 and 802.3 shows that we get solid attendance
at non-NA interims. Stockholm was an expensive city too and 802.1 did
fine on attendance. For those who chose to economize by staying in a
different hotel, it looked like more was available in Rome for
reasonably priced accomodation than in Stockholm. I don't believe that
the decision of those groups about where to hold their interim in
January 2007 is an indicator of turn-out for a Rome plenary. And the
decision not to go to London wasn't based only on cost. It was also
based on our other options for non-NA interims in 2007 vs a January in
London. In 2007, 802.3 had interims in May Geneva and September Seoul
and 802.1 had May Geneva and September Stockholm.

Regards,
Pat