Re: [802SEC] Arnie's concern regarding submittals to ITU WP8F response

All:

Let me start to respond by stating that 802.20 was invited and agreed to participate in the development of a single common input from ITU WP8F under the leadership and coordination of Mike Lynch and 802.18. For our first input we had coordination, telecoms, disscussion and ultimately achieved consensus and a common 802 input.
At the Montreal meeting (I believe) Mike lynch hosted an evening meeting discussing the next input to be developed by 802 for submittal to ITU. At that meeting the Vice Chair of 802.16 stood up and said that achieving a common input by working with the other working groups was too hard and that 802.16 would develop their own input. This may or may not be the position of 802.16 but it was said. I remember it distinctly because Steve Shellhammer responded by stating (inellegantly but I think accurately) that if achieving consensus was hard that was just tough because that is what we do in the IEEE and in 802.
Now it appears by the responses received from Bob and Pat that, what I believed was direction from the EC that one input from 802 was to be developed and coordinated through 802.18 was not exactly what was decided by the EC. According to them, there may be an input from 802 via 802.18 but there may be other inputs from individuals or other companys or a variety of entities. This was not at all clear to me nor the basis that we in 802.20 joined in the 802.18 effort.
What I have asked is that the EC clarify their intent. If the EC has asked for an 802.18 input and a variety of other inputs from sundry sources let us make that clear and I am certain that a Whitmans Sampler of inputs will sprout as inputs to ITU WP8F. If the EC beleives that this would cause confusion and reflect badly on the IEEE and 802 then we should say that and enforce a single input. If Roger would like to state that this has all been a terrible missunderstanding on my part and that he or other .16 entities have no interntion, plan or interest in developing a different input, that would be helpfull, even though Pat and Bob seem to believe that as long as we put a different wrapping and name on an input that was developed within 802 that is OK.

Arnie Greenspan

 Original message from "Roger B. Marks" <r.b.marks@IEEE.ORG>: --------------