Re: [802SEC] [802-11WG] FW: [802SEC] Rome decison

Andrew,

You said in your email:
> On the issue of Rome vs. Vancouver I have mixed feelings.

Re having mixed feelings re the specific venue choices; Me too.
However, neither my personal opinions about the specific venue choices nor
my opinions re the nNa issue were the subject of my email. I did NOT provide
my personal opinions about the nNA issue in my email - as they are not
relevant to the topic I addressed.

I'm seeing at least three topics being discussed within the email threads:
1) The desirability (or lack thereof) to have more nNA meetings.
2) The reasons for preferring one of the two specific venue choices for
March 2009 of Rome and Vancouver.
3) Concerns over the action of the EC after explicitly asking the membership
what it wanted for the March 2009 venue.

I only addressed the third of these topics.

Later you said:
> Rather, I feel
> compelled to point out a misrepresentation of generally
> accepted governance principles and the responsibilities of
> the 802 LMSC EC.

I do not believe that I misrepresented any generally accepted governance
principles or responsibilities.
I respectfully suggest that you go back and read my email a bit more
carefully.
I point you specifically to the wording of the email. I expressed my
opinions of the situation. I went to some effort to make that explicit via
the wording used. Note the language used for many sentences: e.g. "I
believe...", "It is my opinion..." etc.
Whether my opinions re what Chairs **should do** match what you choose to
quote as governance rules is not the point.
(It does seem to me that my opinion as to how a chair should behave does not
match yours)

Further, I think that your characterizing my statements as
"misrepresentation" is inaccurate.

I suspect we also have a significant difference of opinion as to what is
"generally accepted" and a difference over what the responsibilities of the
EC members are.

In your email you went on to say:
> However, please do not make threatening comments
> related to fiduciary responsibility and insurance that have
> no supporting factual basis.

I'll again suggest that you re-read. I explicitly wrote "That's not a
threat, rather an attempt to get people to seriously consider the potential
consequences of their actions."
I infer that somehow you either missed or did not understand the explicit
phrase "That's not a threat...".

I do think that a pretty reasonable case could be made that the EC does have
a fiduciary responsibility to the 802 organization. I'd find it rather
interesting to hear an EC member take the position that they do not have any
such responsibility (for example: let us hope it's not a treasurer that
chooses to take that position!)

It is a fact that the IEEE does not provide EC members with D&O insurance
coverage. This was confirmed to me personally as recently as the meeting in
Atlanta. Further, I have concern that situations like the current one may
expose members of the EC to personal liability issues. I pointed out that
they might want to consider that as part of this situation. I still think
giving that aspect consideration is a good idea.

I do feel strongly that WG chairs should represent the will of their groups.
You apparently do not share that viewpoint.

I infer from your text that you think that they WG chairs should do whatever
they want, unless a WG forces them via a directed position. Even when (as in
this case), they know before the decision vote, from hard data that they
requested, that the body prefers one specific choice 2:1 over the other.
Assuming I have understood your position accurately, I very strongly
disagree with your position on this.

Exercising judgment re routine matters is one thing.

Explicitly seeking the will of the body, regarding a question which has been
a controversy within the EC for literally multiple months, getting a 2:1
preference as an answer to the question, and then voting to pick the choice
that only 33% of the body said they prefer is very, very different.

Dave