Re: [802SEC] It doesn't have to be either or

John,

My understanding from what I understood Buzz to say is that F&B and meeting
space pricing are contingent on a certain (large) size room block and that
those prices would go up with a smaller room block, if they'd even rent us
the meeting space at all with a very small room block (if I am wrong, I'm
sure Buzz will clarify/correct me.)

> And since people would be free to book
> a room at any hotel they wish, it would be far less costly to attend
> than what was claimed in the survey. If other hotels are not within an
> easy walking distance, we could hire a coach to shuttle people between
> various hotels and the meeting location. I assume this would cost far
> less than the difference in room rates. There are many ways that we
> could make Rome work.

Apparently the hotel is in the middle of an industrial area, with no other
hotels, restaurants, etc. anywhere close.

What I had originally understood as "15 minutes to central Rome on a high
speed train" is apparently more like 45 minutes and the nearest train
station is nearly 2 miles away (and the area is reportedly infested with
roaming packs of wild dogs ...).

From all I can see based on the information that's been presented and what
I've researched myself since our closing EC meeting, the venue *sucks* to
put it bluntly (again I can't help but feel that its "attractiveness" and
"convenience" were mis-represented to us all along, whether intentionally or
not).

> But, if the EC gives up on Rome without trying creative ways
> to make it work,

Frankly, I've pretty much come to the conclusion that Rome is a lost cause -
unworkable and extremely dangerous financially and logistically.

> then I hate to see us settle for Vancouver. I don't believe that
> if Vancouver is still available at this date that other locations that
> could fit us, including in Hawaii, would not also be available.

While I *like* Vancouver and we've had some very good meetings there, I
*also* hate to see us "settle for Vancouver" *in this case*, since it is not
in line with the policy objective we laid out 3 years ago.  However, since
it's apparent that that policy has not been executed effectively, and I
doubt that we could find a suitable alternative (before we'd lose the option
on Vancouver, if at all) at this late date), I find myself reluctantly
forced to lean towards Vancouver.

Regards,

Carl