From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee List *****
[mailto:STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG] On Behalf Of Roger B. Marks
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 22:22
To: STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: [802SEC] Proposed process to choose March 2011 802 Plenary

Folks,

I think it's time to plan the process for choosing the site of the March
2011 802 Plenary. I recommend we try a new approach.

In my view, the best path to success is to work with a local host who
wants our session and will be willing to put its name and credibility on
the line to make sure it goes right. I have some experience in this
area. I served as the Meetings and Symposia Chair of an IEEE Society
that threw an annual Symposium for around 8,000 to 10,000 people. The
event is big enough that the site is chosen annually eight years in
advance. Still, the competition to host is strong, and it is not unusual
to have three proposals from which to choose. The process involves a
request for proposals, a site visit committee, and a formal site
selection process. Proposals are selected based on location, facilities,
costs, the interest of the local community, and the commitment of the
local organizing committee. The results are great. The locals want the
Symposium, and they work hard to deliver one that people will remember.
[Since I served as Vice Chair of one of those local committees, I know
how hard people work to pull off a successful event to which their name
is attached.]

Long ago, I used to organize 802.16 interim sessions myself when I had
no other option. I always chose a site near my home. Sometimes people
would say something like, "Hey, let's meet in Rio; that would be a great
spot." I would say, "Sorry; I know Denver; I don't know Rio."
Eventually, I developed a simple site selection process based on host
proposals. Now, when someone asks for Rio, I say "Great, why don't you
make a proposal?" Every four months, when we choose a site, we have at
least one proposal to consider, and we have had as many as four at once.
We get, for the most part, committed local members who convince their
company to join in and, in the best cases, bring along the local
industry, academic, and government communities.

I think that 802 is in a similar situation now. Buzz knows North America
like I know Denver. We can tell Buzz to go make a meeting in Rio, but we
may not be happy with the results, and we may not build any lasting
relationships.

I suggest that we seek proposals to host the March 2011 Plenary and make
a choice at the July session. Here is a specific timeline to get
there:

(1) by 31 January: IEEE 802 Executive Secretary issues a draft set of
facility requirements and issues a Request for Interest (RfI) seeking a
letter of intent from any prospective hosts.
(2) 7 March: Deadline for letter of intent that would name prospective
host and venue but without a firm commitment to host.
(3) 21 March: 802 EC approves a request for proposals (RfP), including
facility requirements and hosting specifications, with a specific
submittal template to allow ready intercomparison. 802 EC also
authorizes travel expenses for site visits to prospective hosts
identified by letter of intent.
(4) 20 June: Deadline for host proposals issued in response to the RfP.
(5) 1 July: Executive Secretary submits report summarizing proposals and
results of site visits.
(6) 14 July: During a tutorial slot, host candidates overview their
proposals.
(7) 18 July: 802 EC votes to accept a proposal.

Note that this would not require any EC action before the March 802
Plenary. We just need Step (1) to kick it off.

The RfP could specify that we are particularly seeking venues outside
North America and would expect to give them preference. We could also be
rigid about this, but my personal opinion is that we should be flexible,
retaining the option to choose a North American site if that was the
only reasonable option. Anyway, the RfP would be subject to EC
discussion.

If we take an approach like this, I have a lot of confidence that we
will get a good response. I am committed to working with prospective
hosts to get us at least one solid hosting offer outside North America.

I welcome your thoughts on this proposal.

Roger

This list is maintained by Listserv.