From: Dan Lubar [mailto:dlubar@relayservices.com]
Sent: Friday, December 10, 2010 09:09
To: Michael Lynch; Paul Nikolich
Subject: FYI..

This was sent out this this morning..

Thought you guys would like to know..

Dan

Subject: IEEE-USA Letter on Network Traffic Managment
From:    b.concepcion@ieee.org
Date:    Fri, December 10, 2010 8:47 am
To:      Julius.Genachowski@fcc.gov
Cc:      Michael.Copps@fcc.gov
         Robert.McDowell@fcc.gov
         Mignon.Clyburn@fcc.gov
         Meredith.Baker@fcc.gov
         d.rudolph@IEEE.ORG
         b.concepcion@IEEE.ORG

The Honorable Julius Genachowski
Chairman
Federal Communications Commission
445 12th Street SW, Room 8-B201
Washington, DC 20554

Dear Chairman Genachowski:

The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers - United States of America (IEEE-USA) would like to thank and congratulate you for your remarks on ?Preserving Internet Freedom and Openness?dated December 1, 2010.  IEEE-USA strongly supports the principles of service provider transparency and non-discrimination discussed in those remarks.  We are encouraged by your support for reasonable network traffic management, and we look forward to the Commission?s upcoming proposal.

As our recent position statement explains, fundamental metrics form the basis of any reasonable network traffic management framework.  If agreed to by industry, policymakers, and consumers, standardized metrics provide the opportunity for transparent, non-discriminatory network management for the benefit of all who utilize and develop the Internet.  IEEE-USA and IEEE stand ready to support the development of such standards.

We also hope that the Commission will act in favor of a user-driven Internet -- one in which network traffic management actions depend on user requests.  User requests mitigate discriminatory traffic management practices by classifying packets according to user need rather than content or protocol type.  Hence, a goal of network neutrality is advanced through technical means.

Attached is our position statement, as well as our white paper, Network Traffic Management and the Evolving Internet,and available at http://www.ieeeusa.org/policy/positions/NetworkTrafficManagementNov10.pdf
and at http://www.ieeeusa.org/volunteers/committees/ccp/.

IEEE-USA recognizes that the FCC?s actions on this topic are critical to many sectors of the U.S. economy and specifically to the industries in which many of the 215,000 members of IEEE-USA work.  If there is anything further we can do to support the open Internet, please contact Deborah Rudolph at 202 530-8332 or d.rudolph@ieee.org.

Sincerely,

Evelyn Hirt
President, IEEE-USA
Encls.