Re: [802SEC] Rules Actions for Closing Meeting

Paul / EC members,

I would like to add the WG P&P to the agenda for our EC Interim Teleconference tomorrow.  I would also like to conduct a vote to approve the draft WG P&P posted as ec-11-0006-01-00EC.  Here is my rationale:

Normally we would only vote these documents at a plenary session.  However the current rules say (LMSC OM 4.1.4):

"This OM and the IEEE 802 LMSC WG P&P may be revised as follows.  Revisions to these documents shall be submitted by a Sponsor member to the Sponsor no less than 30 day in advance of a Sponsor Vote to approve them. The Sponsor member proposing the revision may modify the proposed revision during the 30 days prior to a Sponsor Vote (in response to comments). Insufficient time to consider complex modifications is a valid reason to vote disapprove. A motion to revise these documents shall require a vote of approve by at least two thirds of all members of the Sponsor."

I believe it would be within the rules for me to propose voting the document tomorrow as my original amendment and intention to vote it was posted in March, which is more than 30 days ago.  The reason for me "rushing" the vote is that AudCom meets next week, and would like them to approve our WG P&P at their meeting.  I have discussed the proposed revisions with the AudCom reviewer and he has agreed with the currently proposed changes.  However, we ourselves have not considered and approved them.  Furthermore, we are currently operating under a set of rules (the current WG P&P) that has never been accepted but AudCom and was in fact rejected (hence the reason for amending them in the first place).  And I'm not comfortable with that fact.

I feel the most expedient way to remedy the situation would be to vote the revised WG P&P tomorrow so it can be considered and approved at the next AudCom meeting.  Otherwise I believe I should request AudCom defer consideration of the document until after we have voted it in July.  This will leave us in the nebulous situation of operating under a set of rules that AudCom has not accepted.

Please let me know what you think.  Or we can discuss it further on the teleconference tomorrow.

Regards,

Mat

Matthew Sherman, Ph.D.
Technical Director & Engineering Fellow