Re: [802SEC] +++ 10 Day EC Ballot - Reply Comments to the FCC's Incentive Auction Proposal - Docket No. 12-268 +++

It seems to me that this is all yet another process centric debate about the meaning of a more or less continuously changing set of rules wherein no actual good thing is accomplished.

The half life of an 802 filing in a regulatory proceeding in terms of its value (except to archeologists) is on the order of months. Once the regulatory body digests it, along with all the other opinions submitted, it is either influences a rulemaking, or it doesn't, it's either included in a recommendation or it isn't, at which point, for all practical purposes it disappears into the mists of time.

 Fiddling with the how of our internal processes work doesn't improve our impact on regulations.

Nobody not presently involved with 802 who accesses 802 documents on Mentor sees the internal logic of our rules that make us so special, and careful and considerate. The see what they see. So our rules are not protection against being misunderstood.

Standards development under ANSI rules requires certain principles be in place and followed in order to be compliant, to protect contributor's rights and the process.

Regulatory filings don't have the same constraints. If I or my company isn't happy with an 802 filing, I or my company can file on our own behalf directly with the agency, unfiltered by 802 and its rules. So a person or a group always has an alternative means of being heard.

Do these changes matter, no they don't, except insofar as they instigate meaningless contention which continues, never resolving itself, as yet another set of changes appears over the horizon, and the next person takes up the megaphone of compliance to browbeat the rest into submission.

I remain unbrowbeaten, and, while of course, I will comply with whatever silly decision we are finally driven to in order to resolve this controversy, I remain undeterered I my view of its ultimate worth.

John

John Notor
Sent from my iPhone
Mobile: 1 (408) 799-2738