Re: [802SEC] +++ 10-day EC Email Ballot +++ Scope change of IEEE 802.24 and process for adding Task Groups for new areas of interest

Steve

Answers below.

On 05/28/2014 01:22 PM, Shellhammer, Steve wrote:
James,

I finally sat down and went through your slides.  Sorry it took me a
few days to get to it. I have some Comment and Questions for you on
these slides.

Thanks,

Steve

--------------------------- Comments and Questions

Slide 2

*        It says that the EC assigns to 802.24 "application
categories."  This is a little confusing to me.  I would assume the
EC would assign to 802.24 a specific task with a specific
deliverable.  Maybe you  can reword this bullet item

Perhaps "have been assigned to IEEE 802.24 by the IEEE Executive Committee with a scope document."

*        It says "...white papers, guidelines, presentations and
other documents that do not require a PAR."  Once these documents are
developed what happens to them?  Are they posted on the 802 web site?
Are they sent to other organizations?  Are they approved only by
802.24 or are they also approved by the EC?

External communications are approved by the EC. They can be either issued by 802.24 or by 802 using our normal process. I would post them to the web and potentially submit them to other organizations.

Slide 3

*        If I understand it correctly it looks like there could be
one or more task groups under within the TAG.  Is that correct?
Would each task group focus on a specific application category?

Yes, each TG would be focused on a particular application category.

*        It says "request from the IEEE 802.24 TAG the formation of a
subgroup ... Approval for forming a subgroup is a majority vote."  Is
the request to the EC or to the 802.24 TAG, or both?  Who votes on
the formation of this task force?  As I read the next two bullets I
think those answer the questions, but this bullet should be clear on
its own.  So I suggest rewriting it.

The proposal is that subgroup is only approved by the 802.24 TAG at this point. 802.24 votes would vote on the formation of the subgroup, which is not, at this point a Task Group. It is similar to a Study Group, but it is not generating a PAR.

*        I assume this scope document would describe the deliverables
(i.e. what is the document being developed) and where that
deliverable will be placed (i.e. the 802 web site, sent to some
organization, etc.)  Is that correct?

Yes, that is item 7 of the scope document.

Slide 6

*        Maybe this is a good place to include what is the
deliverable of the process and where it goes.

There isn't enough room to put all of the scope document here, so it is in a separate document.

General

*        This presentation describes how a new TG is formed.   Do you
plan to describe how the final deliverable is approved?  I assume it
is the 802.24 WG and the EC.  Do the other supporting WGs also vote?

We already have rules for approving communications that are not standards, I am not proposing to change these rules. At this point, the TAG approves it and then advances it to the EC for approval. We could add that it requires an approval of the relevant WGs.

*        Is all of this going into the 802.24 Operating Manual, since
these look like rules?

They will go in the Chair's guidelines. However, these are approved by the EC, so the Chair's guidelines will note that these were approved by EC motion and are changeable by the TAG.

-----Original Message----- From: ***** IEEE 802 Executive Committee
List ***** [mailto:STDS-802-SEC@ieee.org] On Behalf Of James P. K.
Gilb Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2014 4:44 PM To:
STDS-802-SEC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG Subject: [802SEC] +++ 10-day EC Email
Ballot +++ Scope change of IEEE 802.24 and process for adding Task
Groups for new areas of interest

Dear EC members

Paul has delegated the conduct of the EC electronic ballot on the
following motion to me.

This motion is taken under the normal process for approving EC
actions and according to 7.1.1, item a) "Formation or modification of
a subgroup, including its procedures, scope, and duties" requires a
majority vote of those responding.

Moved: IEEE 802 Executive Committee approves the new scope of the
IEEE

802.24 Vertical Applications TAG and the process for approving new
work withing the TAG as described in document
24-14-0016-01-0000-TG-creation-process.pdf.

Moved: Gilb, Seconded: D'Ambrosia

Start of ballot: Thursday, 22 May 2014

Close of ballot: Sunday, 1 June 2014, 11:59 pm AOE.

For your convenience, I have attached the document.

James Gilb

This list is maintained by Listserv.