Thread Links Date Links
Thread Prev Thread Next Thread Index Date Prev Date Next Date Index

[802SEC] 802 EC Telecon item 9:10 Student Paper Contest

Dear EC,
I'm not sure if Tim will present the exact text in the below motion at the teleconference, but I haven't seen anything from him yet, so I'm forwarding this to support agenda item 9.10 Student Paper Status Update and Motion to reconfirm associated expenses.
------ Forwarded Message ------
From: "Tim Godfrey" <>
To: "Paul Nikolich" <>
Cc: "James Gilb" <>; "John D'Ambrosia" <>
Sent: 6/2/2016 3:59:54 PM
Subject: Student Paper Contest and June Teleconference Agenda

For the agenda item 9.10 on the student paper contest, James thought it might be a good idea to have a motion to re-confirm the expense with the EC now that the details are clear.

In the 2015-10-06 EC Teleconference,  the following motion was approved:

Moved that the IEEE 802 EC approves the expenditure of up to $3000 for prizes, meeting fee waivers, hotel room comp and travel stipends as outlined in ec1500600200EC for an IEEE 802 Student Paper competition to be held in early 2016 with awards and presentations at the July 2016 Plenary meeting in San Diego, CA.

( unanimous consent.)

The current breakdown of the expense commitment is:
1) First Place Cash award $1000
2) Travel Stipend $500
3) Meeting Fee Waived
4) Hotel Room Comp - 5 nights (Face to Face is holding a hotel reservation for Meareg to check in on Sunday July 24 and check out on Thursday July 28th. )

I have asked Face to Face to provide me with the exact cost for the 5 days of hotel, but I don't have that number yet.  If it is the same rate I have, it will be about $1100 for 5 nights.  So the award, travel stipend, and room would come to $2600. Depending on how the meeting fee is handled, that may add to the total expense.

On the other hand, IEEE-SA is jointly funding. Susan Tatiner has confirmed that IEEE-SA will contribute $1500, and that she has already sent $1000 to Meareg as the award.

So I'm requesting your advice on whether there is a need to have any motion regarding the expenditure?  It seems unlikely that the expenses from the IEEE 802 treasury will reach the $3000 already approved, given the IEEE-SA contribution.  If no motion is needed, I will simply plan to update the EC on these facts.


At 04:06 PM 5/31/2016, John D'Ambrosia wrote:
I have updated the agenda for the June Teleconference, based on the feedback that I have received.  Please see
I am asking all to take a moment to review the agenda, and let me know if any corrections are necessary.
John D’Ambrosia
Recording Secretary, IEEE 802 LMSC
---------- This email is sent from the 802 Executive Committee email reflector. This list is maintained by Listserv.

Tim Godfrey
mobile 913-706-3777
---------- This email is sent from the 802 Executive Committee email reflector. This list is maintained by Listserv.