Re: [STDS-802-11-ARC] GLK ESS?

--- This message came from the IEEE 802.11 ARC Reflector ---

\

From: *** 802.11 Architecture Standing Committee *** [mailto:STDS-802-11-ARC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mark Hamilton
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2021 5:03 PM
To: STDS-802-11-ARC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [STDS-802-11-ARC] GLK ESS?

All,

I wasn’t sure if we really got to the bottom of Jouni’s questions about how our proposed changes to ESS and HESS definitions/description (in 11-20/0177, to be liaised to REVme) relate to GLK operation.  I found the following in 802.11ak, that I thought solved the problem for us (4.3.5.1):

The architectural component used to interconnect infrastructure

BSSs is the DS for non-general link (non-GLK) operation. The DS and extended service set (ESS) are

mechanisms for expanding connectivity for non-GLK operation. For GLK operation, an IEEE 802.1Q

bridge might be used to form an extended network (see 4.3.27).

Hopefully, that’s helpful, as I believe it means we don’t have to worry about GLK in our changes.

[RR] I think there is a problem with it, however I could be wrong.  It’s not clear whether an  “extended network” is equivalent to / the same as an ESS. I assume the intent is that they are, but again I could be wrong.  If they are the same, then “”extended network” should be replaced with “ESS” to make it clear.

If anybody think we should still add a NOTE (or something similar) near the ESS definition, please respond to this reflector.  (Personally, I think that is beyond our intent of “fixing” the ESS definition, but it could be argued we’re clarifying things, “while we’re at it”.)

That said, I agree with Jouni that there is an occurrence of “ESS with a DS” in 802.11ak (and now in REVmd), in 4.5.3.4:

The reassociation service is invoked to “move” a current association of a non-AP STA from one AP to

another. In an ESS with a DS, the reassociation service informs the DS of the current mapping between AP

and STA as the STA moves from BSS to BSS within the ESS.

I agree that this is redundant, and should just be “In an ESS, the reassociation service…”  Do we want to suggest fixing that in our liaison (“while we’re at it”), or leave that for a REVme comment?

[RR] I think the real question is: “Is the reassociation service used when the ESS is formed using .1Q bridges or not?”  This is what should be made more clear.  So, I think the text in question needs a bit more work than you are currently suggesting in this email.

Happy New Year Mark (et. al.)!

RR

Mark