Re: [STDS-802-11-ARC] GLK ESS?

--- This message came from the IEEE 802.11 ARC Reflector ---

Thanks for the comments, Dick.  And, Happy New Year to you!

Some thoughts, in response:

*	[RR] I think there is a problem with it, however I could be wrong.
It's not clear whether an  "extended network" is equivalent to / the same as
an ESS. I assume the intent is that they are, but again I could be wrong.
If they are the same, then ""extended network" should be replaced with "ESS"
to make it clear

As I read the definitions (especially our new proposed definitions, although
I realize that is cheating a bit), and this paragraph from 11ak, I end with
the conclusion that the whole concept of "extended service set" is exclusive
to when the structure is created with a DS.  So, while I do think the
"extended network" referenced for GLK operation is generally/vaguely the
same sort of thing as an ESS, it is not literally the same thing.  In fact,
the GLK extended network will be a bridged network by definition, by virtue
of its construction from 802.1Q bridges and GLK's support therefor.  But, an
ESS can be any sort of construction (not necessarily 802.1Q bridges, for
example) that satisfies the requirements for the DS behavior.  I'll also
note that the DS operation is managed through the DS SAP, and its behavior
is entirely defined within 802.11.  This differs from the GLK case, where
the operation is managed with 802.1Q bridging protocols/SAPs/etc., which is
much more explicitly defined (in 802.1 specifications).

Bottom line, I think the difference is relevant, and the text is correct to
use the two distinct terms.

*	[RR] I think the real question is: "Is the reassociation service
used when the ESS is formed using .1Q bridges or not?"  This is what should
be made more clear.  So, I think the text in question needs a bit more work
than you are currently suggesting in this email.

Per 802.11 definitions, reassociation with an ESS invokes a specific
operation/behavior from the DS.  It doesn't matter how the DS is
implemented, it might be with 802.1Q bridges and it might not be - that is
implementation detail of the DS, and is explicitly unspecified by 802.11.
To answer your question literally, the answer is "yes", the reassociation
service is used when the ESS is formed using .1Q bridges, but that is
because reassociation is used with all ESSs regardless of how they are
formed, hence it is also used when the ESS is not formed using .1Q bridges.

However,  we should note that 802.11 is explicit that reassociation can be
done with a GLK structure, also.  But, with a GLK structure, reassociation
is done through 802.1Q higher layer services, modifying ISS SAPs, etc.  So,
the two operations are quite different.

Note that the sentence I quoted (and I suggest changing) is specifically for
the ESS case, and a lot of the rest of that paragraph (in 4.5.3.4) is about
the GLK case, and it explains with some detail how the GLK case is
different.

Mark

From: *** 802.11 Architecture Standing Committee ***