Re: [STDS-802-11-ARC] GLK ESS?

--- This message came from the IEEE 802.11 ARC Reflector ---

All,

Mark thank you for pulling this information together.

One editorial comment regarding your text from clause 4.3.5.1 – REVmd D5.0 has the reference pointing to 4.3.28, not 4.3.27 as show below.

I agree that there is no such thing as a GLK DSS and that GLK does not use the DS concept for mobility.  As you know, GLK operation provides a means of establishing an 801.11 link from one IEEE 802.1Q bridge port to another IEEE 802.1Q bridge port by mapping the 802.11 MAC SAPs via GLK convergence functions (shim layers) to the ISS SAPs of the bridge (I’ve used plurals here because there two of each entity, one on each end of the link), defining a point to point link.  Mobility for devices operating with GLK links is not within the scope of the 802.11 specification, as mobility of GLK links are managed (if  supported at all) by the ability of the associated IEEE 802.1Q bridged network and the associated GLK convergence function (shim layer) to support port mobility (mobility being  the process of allowing a link to be moved (re-mapped) from one IEEE 802.1 bridge port to another bridge port with in the same bridge or bridged LAN and changing the bridge routing to support the continuous delivery of packets to the new (re-mapped) location “transparently”).

This said – here are some initial thoughts (additional discussion and review are required before any action should be taken):

  1. I agree we do not need to worry about GLK in our changes related to ESSs or HESS definitions/descriptions as these are not GLK concepts.
  2. I think we should add additional text to clarify that while the concept of BSS does apply to GLK, ESS and DS do not apply.  I don’t think the statement in 4.3.5.1 is adequate.
  3. Also, there are currently some statements in 4.3.28 and 4.5.3 that should be reviewed (I’m not sure if these issues should be fixed as part of the definition correction of ESS.):
    1. In 4.3.28.3.4 it states:  “… the concept of the DS in a non-GLK ESS is replaced by the other components of the IEEE 802.1Q network.) (260.61) [“non-GLK” should be deleted]
    2. In 4.5.3.2 mobility types are defined – the types defined apply to non-GLK, but there is no discussion of GLK mobility types or which of the defined types apply to GLK – this should probably be fixed but will probably require a text proposal (contribution).
    3. 4.5.3.3 Association seems to have a minor problem that it states: “Association is one of the services in the DSS.” (268.19) While this is a true statement it makes no mention of association for GLK which is described later in the section (268.29) and seems to me to not allow for association with out a DSS, which is not true as association is allowed with in a BSS and does not require an ESS.  [Replace: “Association is one of the services in the DSS.” With: “Maintaining a list of APs and their associated STAs is one of the services in the DSS.”]
    4. 4.5.3.4 Reassociation also has the same minor problem that it states: “Reassociation is one of the services in the DSS.“ [Replace: “Reassociation is one of the services in the DSS” With: “Maintaining a list of APs and their associated STAs is one of the services in the DSS.”]
    5. Note in clause 4.5.3.4 (269.17) there is a description of mobility for GLK.
    6. 4.5.3.5 Disassociation also has the same minor problem that it states: “Disassociation is one of the services in the DSS.” [Replace: “Disassociation is one of the services in the DSS” With: “Maintaining a list of APs and their associated STAs is one of the services in the DSS.”]
  4. I support the idea of changing “ESS with a DS” to simply be “ESS”
  5. Also is there anything we to address regarding “ESS Link” as part of the ESS definition fix?
  6. Lastly, there are some interesting uses of ESS in clause 12 which may need review. e.g., can a STA be a member of an ESS and can a STA associate with an ESS.

Regards,

Joseph Levy