[STDS-802-11-TGBC] Comments on use of Keccek Functions in 11bc and Monday call

TGBC participants:

I have not been following work on 11bc, as my attention has been on unmanned aviation over the past year.  No need for details of that here.  I was pointed to your use of SHAKE and KMAC only Thursday; September is a "Swiss cheese" month for me with all the Jewish Holidays (I am offline a LOT of days through the end of the month).

I have taken a quick read through sec 12.13.3.3 and have some initial comments.  I should preface this with I have been working with FIPS 202 and SP800-185 in specifications for a couple years.  I REALLY like the Keccak function...

You have not properly specified the SHAKE function:

SHAKE128(M, d)

where d is the output length in bits.

I would recommend using cSHAKE over SHAKE to add a customization bit string, e.g.:

cSHAKE128(X, L, "", "802.11bc")

This will produce a separate domain from any other usage that has the same input.  Maybe never needed, "but it doesn't hurt".

I do recommend your use of KMAC.  KMAC is a single Keccak call (hash) that works like HMAC but needs 2 underlying hash calls.  Thus KMAC has twice the efficiency over HMAC (assuming SHA-2 to SHAKE being close to equal).

But again your call is deficient:

KMAC128(K, X, L, S)

Please be exact in your specification of use of KMAC.  I cannot figure out what you are using for S in your description...

Follow the use of NIST call parameters.

For examples of how I am using cSHAKE, see:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-drip-rid/

For cSHAKE, KMAC and more see:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-moskowitz-hip-new-crypto/

I can only be on the call Monday until 11:45; I have to leave for a doctor's appointment that got changed.

I can work with you on improving your text in use of SHAKE (or cSHAKE) and KMAC.

As a side note, if you are doing a key derivation function, KMAC can be directly used.  This is a real improvement over HKDF.  Again see my draft-moskowitz-hip-new-crypto to see how I use it and discussion behind using KMAC for a kdf.

Robert Moskowitz