Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBE] CR for some TDLS CIDs

Hi Ahmed,

Thanks for your responses. I have added my reasonings for recommending negotiation based channel switching:

1.

As you are probably well aware, 6GHz operation was added at a late stage of 11ax (After D2.0) and not all aspects were fully discussed (including TDLS off-channel switching). For that reason, just because this was not included in 11ax, is not a valid reason for this not be considered for 11be. As per 11.20.6.2 (General behavior on the off-channel), in the DFS band, the TDLS STA initiating the channel switch has to be the DFS Owner:

The TDLS peer STA initiating the switch to the channel where radar detection is required by regulation shall

be the DFS owner.

However for the 6 GHz band, the onus of checking AFC (whether a channel may be used) is on the AP and hence I think the simplest solution is for the STAs to check with the AP. The alternative would be the STA itself checks with AFC (which is probably out of scope of .11). Also, channel switching is not frequent, so the overhead of checking with AP is minimal.

Btw, using your own argument, why is the “channel switch notification” required then? What is the AP expected to do with this notification? It is not very clear from your CR.

2.

I was referring to other non-AP MLD’s NSTR links with the AP (not the non-AP MLD performing the channel switch).

>> We wanted to follow the baseline of TDLS operation by making it as independent as possible from AP's control. The concern is that if we allow negotiation on channel switch and AP keeps rejecting the channel switch, then  TDLS link may deteriorate especially if it carries latency-sensitive traffic.

I agree that as much as possible we should follow the baseline, but if the AP rejects the channel switch request, there will likely be a very good good reason for it (e.g., the channel is restricted/licensed). The cost of a P2P link deteriorating is much less than the cost of illegal usage of a licensed channel in my humble opinion. If the quality of the off-channel link is very important, I would think that is an even stronger reason to make sure that it is a good channel to switch to.

Regards,

Rojan