Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBE] 答复: [STDS-802-11-TGBE] 答���: [STDS-802-11-TGBE] Discussion on ESS Report element

Hi Guogang

Thanks for the continued discussion.

I believe the original intent of the Planned ESS subfield definition “ESS that is planned with several BSSs” was to describe a network comprising multiple physical APs in different locations - not simply a single physical AP operating multiple bands. If we were to clarify the current language along these lines, an MLD AP would not necessarily need to set this bit to 1, and I think your issue would be resolved.

That said, even if we take a literal reading of this text (i.e. assume the field should be set to 1 if there is any other BSS in the ESS that overlaps the coverage area of the BSS advertising this IE - even if that BSS is colocated), I see little value in supporting an indication that there are no other APs (that are not part of that MLD) overlapping coverage of the reporting AP MLD. In such cases where the MLD is alone, it would simply not send the IE at all.

The scenarios where the MLD AP does have overlapping BSSs is already covered by the baseline definition and RSSI recommendation.

As a separate point, I am very concerned about the normative language you propose in 35.3.25.1 which seems to forbid the STA from transitioning to another BSS based on measured RSSIs and values of this element. (Even the “shoulds” are too strong in my view).
I am unable to figure out exactly what this requirement is (does the “Otherwise” refer to case where PlannedESSforMLDs is not 1, or refer to case where RSSIs are all below the threshold, or both?) but either way I do not think it is appropriate.

Thanks
Thomas