Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBH] TSID

Hi Nehru,

Thanks for response.

As I said I am (sadly) not an expert in security so please help me understand.  I have looked at 21/1697 and see that you are using “option 2”  (slide 7).  In this proposal the HDDF expand and extract are:

rPMKID-PRK = HKDF-Extract(current PMKID, KDK)

rPMKID = HKDF-Expand(rPMKID-PRK, "rPMKID expansion", 16)

I think I follow that but not sure what “rPMKID expansion” is in this formula.  I assume TSID = rPMKID?

Forgive me if I have got anything wrong, but I am almost looking at this from first principles and to understand it I need to ask a few questions (which may be obvious to you and others, but not to me).  I thank you in advance.

Now, as per slide 5 of your TSID proposal

During PTKSA creation each side derives the next TSID, TSIDK, TSKPN using IETF RFC5869

(I looked at HKDF so I think I’ve got the basics).

Step 1.    TSID-PRK = HKDF-Extract(“Transient Station Identity” || ID || SA, KDK)

What is “Transient Station Identity”?  How does AP and STA know what it is?  What precisely are “ID” and “SA” ?

Also, just to check, is “KDK” the same as “PTK”, or something different?

Then Step 2 is

TSID = HKDF-Expand(TSID-PRK, “TSID”, TSID-NBYTES)

What is “TSID”?  Is it a chosen name or something?   How does AP and STA  know this?  Also what length are you proposing?

Then you derive two more HKDF-expands:

TSIDK = HKDF-Expand(TSID-PRK, “TSIDK”, TSIDK-NBYTES)

TSKPN = HKDF-Expand(TSID-PRK, “TSKPN”, 6)      // 48-bit random initial packet number

So you now have three fields TSID, TSIDK, and TSKPN and

“TSKSA is updated with TSID, TSIDK and TSKPN”, presumably TSKSA consists of these three fields, is that right?  Is that what the AP and STA need to store?

Next step is

“HMAC-Hash defined by AKM, TSID-NBITS, TSIDK-NBITS by RSNXE caps”

I’m having trouble understanding this.  Looking at the explanation of HKDF, HMAC-Hash appears to be another name for HKDF-Extract but that does not seem to be right.   Not really sure what this HMAC-Hash is doing.

Moving onto slide 6

The TSID element IE includes the fields TSKPN, TSID, and TSID-Hash.

The formula for the TSID-Hash is given and consists of TSKPN(incremented by 1), TSID, SA (which one?), and BSSID.  The “AP uses the TSID to lookup the TSKSA”.  So the AP stores a list of TSHSAs (TSID, TSIDK, TSKPN) indexed using the TSID?

The STA also stores a list of TSKSAs for each AP?  Does the STA also store the TSID-Hash or does it calculate that when it wants to re-associate?  (I suppose it does not matter which order).

Then the “AP validates TSID using the TSID-Hash and TSIDK”.  So the AP carries out the TSID-Hash calculation using its stored values for TSKPN, SA and BSSID and checks it gets the same value for TSID-Hash in the TSID IE?

Which flag does it use (Identify or Identify and Update)?  What are the rules for that? So at this stage the AP is sure that this is a STA that has associated before, yes?  How does it inform the STA that it has been recognized?

The AP does this before the 4-way Handshake?  After 4–way handshake a new PTK is created, and then both the AP and STA recalculate the TSID, TSIDK, TSKPN, etc.  maybe calculate a new TSID-Hash, and store the results.  Is that right? You stated that the AP stores 30 octets per client, how is that broken down?

I may have not understood all the details, but basically at the first association, the STA and AP store the TSID, TSKPN  etc.  When the STA re-associates, it declares the TSID, the TSKPN (is this incremented?), and the TSID-Hash in the TSID IE in the association request, and the AP can confirm it has seen this STA before by checking its store of TSIDs.

What response from the AP informs the STA that the TSID is accepted?

How does STA inform AP this the first time it associates and wants AP to save TSID?

How big is TSID?  Is there any way that this compromises the PMK or PTK?

If rogue STA knows the PMK, can it mess up the TSID or cause AP and STA to get out of step?

This is certainly a very interesting proposal.  I would appreciate your comments on my questions and observations.

Thanks

Graham