Re: [STDS-802-11-TGBH] TGbh CIDs 135 and 224 ("Mismatch")

After reading through all the thread, I would like to contribute the following:

  • Authentication is the act of verifying that something or someone is what it/who is
    • Authentication is only as good as the security of the parameters used to authenticate. A shared secret is only as secret as it is kept – ie posted on a board means that is not very well secured
    • 802.1x again is only a secured as that method is secured – if TTLS (username/password) is given to individuals, if that individual does not share it then the statement of that username/password is that individual is true – but if shared it still relates to that individual but is not truly authentication that individual but anyone using that credential.
  • While all of this about authentication is good – my understanding of the BH group was to (as Mark put it) find a solution to the things RCM broke.
    • Keep in mind that the MAC address was used to identify a device – not the person using that device. So authentication of user is out – but for a device is in.
    • To enable allowing a device onto a network (be it private or public) – this can be determined by different methods to allow the device on (Captive Portal, access lists, and so on, including authenticating the user or group of users)
    • To enable troubleshooting as needed
    • To put restrictions on a device – ie parental controls, network segmentation, etc
    • To enable legal requirements – legal intercept

By addressing IRM and Device ID getting out of sync and restarting the process – the above may not/can not be accomplished. This results in returning to the same basic issues that were caused by RCM – so are we truly solving/addressing the foundations of the group.

Luther