From: owner-stds-802-21@listserv.ieee.org [mailto:owner-stds-802-21@listserv.ieee.org] On Behalf Of Johnston, Dj
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 4:08 AM
To: S. Daniel Park; steve.lee@SAMSUNG.COM; McCann, Stephen; stds-802-21
Cc: ajayrajkumar@LUCENT.COM; Pyungsoo Kim; cchaplin@symbol.com
Subject: RE: contributions for upcoming May 2004 meeting - ARID

Daniel,

There are four potential venues I can think of.

802.21 is an obvious place, since this is a small item of L3 context
information that can be used for optimization of the handover process,
regardless of the media type. In fact I think you will find 802.21 to be
fairly receptive to this idea, since I remember the ARID being discussed
several times as a suitable thing to include in the handover information
that 802.21 could make available.

802.16e or 802.16 Netman may want to adopt this as an efficiency
measure.

802.11r 'Fast BSS Transition' may or may not want to address this, based
on a determination of whether the ARID could change during a BSS
transition.

802.11 WIEN has something of a cellular interworking angle. If Mobile IP
is the unifying medium in an 802.11/cellular interworking scenario that
WIEN ultimately addresses, the some representation of the ARID would be
appropriate.

Within 802.21 and 802.16 I see no conflict. It is appropriate for the
same information to be available by both means. The point of supporting
it in 802.16 would be that it could be passed at a lower layer and thus
in a more timely fashion than 802.21 might achieve over that medium.

Within 802.11, I suspect you do not need more than one group to address
this, so its one of either 802.11r or WIEN. Given Steve's input, it
looks like WIEN might be keen to help out.

So I suggest you bring this to 802.21 as a proposal for an item of
'media independent handover information' that we should support and
provide the necessary information relating to its use and semantics.

In 802.16, I suggest steering clear of 802.16e, they are heavily into a
comment resolution cycle and don't have room for new material. The
802.16 Netman SG in the medium term is likely to lead to a PAR that
addresses optimized mobility procedures. I have ARID advertisments on my
list of things to address in Netman and so we may have time to discuss
this in the July meeting in Portland. If you are going to Shenzen for
the 802.16 meeting in May, then you are welcome to bring it up as a
scope item for Netman.

In 802.11, take it to WIEN.

DJ
802.16 Netman SG chair