RE: [802.21] IEEE 802.11u requirement for IEEE 802.21

Stefano,

As for addressing specific 802.11 amendments, once the events/commands
list is relatively stable in 802.21 draft (getting there..) we shall
take a good look at different primitives/parameters proposed in 802.21,
and hopefully come up with good suggestions for link layer amendments to
be included in TGu. Look out for more developments along these lines....

Best Regards
-Vivek

There
> > are several comments already in place in current draft to this
affect.

> > 1] Currently Link Up indication includes info about IPAddressRenewal
> > (not sure if this info can be provided in all/most cases so this
needs
> > to be made optional at best). It can also include info about
> > new subnet
> > address for newly selected PoA (though one may argue about
> > availability
> > of subnet address from link layer triggers).
> [Stefano] yes, and TGu requirement was meant to address that for
802.11
> specifically. The TGu requirement in this case refers to the ability
> provide such indication by the 802.11 link layer. Perhaps the question
> becomes: does 802.11 link layer need to do anything to provide such
info?

> > 2] LinkGoingDown indication includes MacAddress of next
> > prospective PoA
> > as an optional parameter. If that information is available then
using
> > RARP one can find IP address of prospective PoA and determine if
there
> > will be a change in IP address.
> >
> > 3] Information service tries to provide subnet information
> > for different
> > PoAs as part of Media Independent Neighbor maps. This could help in
> > figuring out PoA layout and determining a priori possible impact on
> > change in IP address due to specific PoA selection.
> >
> > Not sure if these are adequate so other solutions welcome as well.
> > Best Regards,
> > -Vivek

TGu.