[802.3_B400G] P802.3dj Presentation Requests for March 2023

Title: P802.3dj Presentation Requests for March 2023

All,

The presentations given by Mr. Brown and Mr. Gustlin this week at the optics ad hoc meeting were extremely helpful –

·       AUI Types vs FEC Partitioning - https://www.ieee802.org/3/dj/public/adhoc/optics/0223_OPTX/gustlin_3dj_optx_adhoc_01a_230222.pdf

·       PHY/FEC architecture considerations - https://www.ieee802.org/3/dj/public/adhoc/optics/0223_OPTX/brown_3dj_optx_adhoc_01a_230222.pdf

Mark’s presentation did an excellent job at illustrating a number of different links for consideration, as well as underlying variables related to these links.  And Matt’s presentation provided context to the different PHY/FEC types, as well as terminology we can use to facilitate clear communications.

To help ensure clear communications going forward I would like to leverage these two presentations in Task Force communications.

For the upcoming March 2023 Plenary, I request that all individuals who plan to submit any presentations that include any analysis of PHY / FEC types include a summary page in the presentation providing the following details of the analysis -

1.      What PHY (for example – 800GBASE-DR4-2 or 800GBASE-FR4) is being addressed?

2.      PHY / FEC type See Slide #7, Brown presentation.

3.      # of AUI’s per PHY link See Slide #6, Brown presentation (AUIs associated with MII Extender not included)

4.      Assumed BER per AUI and burst error characteristics.

5.      PMD Link Burst Error Characteristics

6.      Inner FEC code, if applicable

7.      Inner FEC pre-encoding interleaving characteristics, if applicable

As a reminder, requests for presentation time in March are due 02 March 2023.  For more details see https://www.ieee802.org/3/B400G/email/msg00643.html.

Regards,

John D’Ambrosia

Chair, IEEE P802.3dj Task Force