Re: [802.3_B400G] [802.3_B400G_LOGIC] P802.3dj Joint Logic/Optics Track ad hoc agenda 8/15/23

Hello Chris,

One of the key reason for success of IEEE 802.3 standards as said is the Five Criteria (CSD) and technical feasibility, on the DJ website under Technical Feasibility we have:

https://mentor.ieee.org/802-ec/dcn/22/ec-22-0256-00-ACSD-p802-3dj.pdf
At a minimum, address the following items to demonstrate technical feasibility:

a) Demonstrated system feasibility.

b) Proven similar technology via testing, modeling, simulation, etc.

c) Confidence in reliability.

I am sure at some point in time 200 Gb/s/lane optics will evolve sufficiently where one with confidence and reliable operate such link with just KP4 FEC.
If for some reason the future TX technology (2nd Gen Sipho/TFLN ??) are ready for deployment in 12-18 months then there is no reason to define PMDs with inner FEC!

We should not hack defining future optics PMDs based on 1st Gen 200G TX optics!

Thanks,

Ali Ghiasi
Ghiasi Quantum LLC