Re: [802.3_OMEGA] Baseline test for IEEE 802.3cz PMD/MDI

Dear all,

I agree the optical return loss tolerance of the TX needs to be defined. RIN is always influenced
by reflections in general that arrive to the VCSEL device. The TX tolerance depends of the VCSEL
device design but it is also very important how the optical coupling element (e.g. lens) between VCSEL
and fiber MDI is designed.

We have to define RIN_oma_x, where x is the return loss tolerance and the experimental setup adjustment requires specification of value x (in dB).

I understood that TBD in the text of the contribution is not indicating that reflection does not need to be specified.

In many contributions done in OMEGA different connector types have been considered. Different connectors and different MDIs
will have different return loss properties.
I believe we should decide the TX optical return loss tolerance based on real experimental data or math models
of the connectors under consideration. Perhaps return loss tolerance of 12 dB is OK, or finally it results to be higher or lower for this application.

the RINoma = -124 dB/Hz with BWn = 20.9 GHz for 25 Gb/s link budget analysis. It is 4 dB higher than the RINoma levels considered in 802.3 PHYs.

This RINoma specification relax in simulation is intended to facilitate the selection of the most suitable (cost, aging, environmental requirements, etc) connectivity for
automotive applications with very different requirements compared with data-centers.

In summary, I believe every parameter needs to be revised according to target automotive application, with experimental or simulation data.

Best regards,

Rubén Pérez-Aranda
CTO at KDPOF

Knowledge Development for POF, S.L.