From: "Robert Grow" <bobgrow@xxxxxxx>
To: "津崎 望" <ntsuzaki@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "stds-802-3-omega@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <stds-802-3-omega@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2022/01/18 火 01:15
Subject: Re: [802.3_OMEGA] Direct vote live issue

Tsuzaki-san,

Answers are provided inline below to the questions in your email. Any other questions can be answered on our next call.

—Bob

On Jan 17, 2022, at 1:04 AM, 津崎 望 <ntsuzaki@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello 802.3 members,

I am writing this mail about procedure handling voting result on comment #173.
 It was true that percentage of Y/N/A voting was calculated, but full individual voting list
 was not displayed.

The DVL recorded individual voting list can be viewed by anyone logged into the DVL tool (when recording of votes by name is enabled). As Mr. Law pointed out during our 12 January teleconference, after the vote was closed a look at the DVL tool voting results showed conflicting data on different pages. On one page it said 31 votes were cast, but on another page only listed 13 individual votes. This was not a problem of “displaying" votes, but rather, the tool did not "record" all the votes by name.

The chair declared that this voting result was invalid because individual voting list was
not displayed properly.
But was it a right action?

There are rules we must follow for voting during electronic meetings:

Subclause 3.4.2 'Voting' of the IEEE 802.3 Ethernet Working Group Operations Manual <https://ieee802.org/3/rules/P802_3_rules.pdf#page=11
'Electronic meetings that will consider motions shall be approved by the WG Chair prior to the meeting announcement. In such meetings only IEEE 802.3 Working Group members may make and vote on motions. If a motion is not approved by unanimous consent it shall be taken as a roll call vote.’.

Clause 12 'Roll Call Votes' of the IEEE 802 LMSC Working Group Policies and Procedures <https://mentor.ieee.org/802-ec/dcn/21/ec-21-0207-23-0PNP-ieee-802-lmsc-working-group-policies-and-procedures.pdf#page=19
'For each roll call vote, the minutes shall include each member’s name, their vote and the final result of the vote.'.

Because DVL did not capture all individual votes by name for inclusion in the minutes as required by the rules — it was not a valid vote.

I suppose other TF experienced same problem, too.
Do you know how other TF handled this matter?

Ours was the first 802.3 teleconference last week. Our IEEE SA Program Manager (Ms. Jodi Haasz) notified all other 802.3 TF leaders of the problem and told them not to use DVL because of the problem we saw. So, no other TFs had a problem last week because they didn’t use DVL. (All the other teleconferences I was on last week passed all their motions by unanimous consent.)

Direct vote live is a critical tool for web conference, and creditability of this tool is very important.
I think it is necessary to ask central office why this bug was occurred and what is corrective action.

Yes, DVL is an important tool and it will be very important during our upcoming 802.3 interim teleconference on the 20th (there are many planned motions that have to be a counted vote).

Ms. Haasz got the IEEE SA DVL team working on the problem almost immediately after our teleconference. They identified the bug. It was discovered that votes of participants logging into DVL before the DVL meeting was “opened" were not recorded on the individual vote list.

I would like to ask a report on this problem at 18th meeting.

I took screen shots of our vote results on the 12th, and can show the same thing any one logged on could have seen on the 12th.

I believe it will be possible to use DVL this week. The bug is fixed and has been tested. Further, we can take a few moments to instruct any 802.3 voter that doesn’t know how, where to click to look at the two pages (“Results" and “See Votes". All logged in participants can quickly check their individual vote was recorded properly; and (taking more time) if any one wants, any or all logged in participants can count the individual votes on the “See Votes” page (roll call list) and compare to the “Results" page.

Best regards,

 Nozomi Tsuzaki, Independent
To unsubscribe from the STDS-802-3-OMEGA list, click the following link: https://listserv.ieee.org/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=STDS-802-3-OMEGA&A=1