[802.3_SPEP2P] Discussion about 1GBit/s for SPE[Avira checked]

Dear all

As time was running out yesterday, we could not deeply discuss our proposal (https://www.ieee802.org/3/SPEP2P/public/Fritsche_draft_objectives_longterm_3SPEP2P_06232021.pdf), therefore as requested by George, we use the reflector. During the last meeting we have seen presentations focusing on factory automation. We completely agree that we need 100Mbit/s there. The length we suggest is 400m as there the ISO/IEC channel shows that PoDL has already some restrictions with the current diameter, the thinner cable. In the presentation of Dieter Schicketanz (https://www.ieee802.org/3/SPEP2P/public/ISOchannelsJune%2021-schicketanz.pdf) we can find a short summary about the channels/ link segments and a picture showing the difference between the two cable types currently under development at IEC.

The idea for 100Mbit/s is too short term for us. IEEE is not only making applications for factory automation but for many other industries too. Therefore, we need 1Gbit/s for industries like:

  • Railway and Transportation
  • Robotic
  • Building automation

IEEE needs to look also into IIoT and IoT which is expected to be in the range of billions of devices. If we miss this opportunity now, we will lose large sections of these industries which can give us all a second wave of success as seen in the late 90ties and 2000 years, where applications in a similar range were developed for 4 pairs with a lot of success.

In the case we do not start to work on 1Gbit/s now we expect that much will be lost to a bunch of wireless and other applications. Please keep in mind, the development of such applications will take 2 years and till we will see active components it can take some more time. Devices might be available in 2025. For future SPE applications we should not preclude even higher data rates. Our proposal included autonegotiation between all speeds from 10Mbit/s up to 1Gbit/s as this will increase the market success as entering at any level is future proof.

We want to hear your thoughts about this idea and discuss with you how it can be realised to bring profit to all working in these fields.

Best regards

Peter Fischer

Head Business Solution & Innovation

Tel.:      +41 32 681 54 54