[802.3_SPEP2P] AW: AW: [802.3_SPEP2P] Number of link segment in-line connectors

Hi Peter,

when originally discussing the link segment for 10BASE-T1L at least I did not think about surge protection devices at this point in time. For Ethernet-APL this topic came up, when later writing the Ethernet-APL Port Profile Specification, but at that point the number of inline connectors was already fixed for 10BASE-T1L. For the 200 m Ethernet-APL spur, we were able to go up to 4 (2 + 2) inline connectors, as this was within the bounds of the 10BASE-T1L 1.0 Vpp operating mode link segment definition, but unfortunately not for the Ethernet-APL trunk.

Therefore I would recommend taking these two additional auxiliary devices/connectors into account, as otherwise we could use up pretty fast the maximum possible connector amount (having 8 remaining for 1000 m is less critical than just having 3 remaining for 500 m).

From my knowledge, the market is requiring surge protection for many reasons, but for me personally it is hard to tell, how many applications will use surge protection or not (this typically depends on many factors, like if it’s a chemical plant within a building or “open frame” without surrounding building, what environmental conditions and what legal aspects and safety measures have to be taken into account and so on).

So hopefully we also could get some more information until the next meeting.

Regards,

Steffen