[802.3_SPEP2P] next steps for Greater than 10 Mb/s Long-Reach Single Pair Ethernet Study Group

All –

With the outcome of today’s meeting, we will not be presubmitting our PAR/CSDs for consideration at the November plenary, and it is clear that we have consensus to build.

On our normal cadence, I am announcing meetings on Wednesday October 13 and Wednesday October 27 from 7-9am pacific time.  You can find the webex information on the 802.3 calendar.

I would like to step back (for a moment) from our PAR/CSD detail, and try to our time fruitfully by doing the following 2 things to build consensus:

  1. Maturing the concept of what a 100 Mb/s long-reach single-pair Ethernet project would do – by progressing consensus on specific objectives.  We need to refine the reach and any specific objectives related to our applications.  While we have seen examples of prototype 100Mb/s PHYs for process control applications, the study group needs to refine how the reach and possibly other operational aspects relate to the CSDs.
  2. Progressing our understanding of the CSDs for 1000 Mb/s by asking those who responded that they would likely be submitting baseline text proposals for PCS/PMA/PMD of PHYs to build consensus by presenting more detailed concepts on what those PHYs might look like for the 1000Mb/s application.  In particular, if the SG members can better understand how a potential proposal might fit relative to application needs including latency, low power, and complexity, through considering possible proposals, we will build consensus.

Remember in all things that the scope of the study group is controlled by the chartering motion, which is:

Move that the IEEE 802.3 Working Group request the formation of a Study Group to develop Project Authorization Requests (PAR) and Criteria for Standards Development (CSD) responses for Greater than 10 Mb/s long-reach point-to-point Single-Pair Ethernet PHYs and Associated Powering

So you should try to identify (or make it easy to see) how the presentation fits the PAR/CSD responses, and that the applications should be centered on long-reach SPE PHYs and associated powering.

-george

George Zimmerman, Ph.D.

President & Principal

CME Consulting, Inc.