[802.3_SPEP2P] [802.3de] Revised comment files uploaded, please discard if you previously downloaded

I apologize for having uploaded erroneous response files and have now not only corrected the version to where I THOUGHT I was, but have been through another pass of cleaning the responses.  Please make sure you have the files dated 2022.

I do not expect to change the proposed responses except perhaps to represent reflector consensus prior to the meeting.  I again urge those interested to review the proposed responses, and especially look at the following comments:

  • Those marked “Half-Duplex” – these get to some of the trickier aspects of the project.
    • Comments 56, 58, 59 relate to reviewing whether additional changes are needed to accommodate half-duplex.  The Study Group and Task Force discussed this and did not previously believe so.  This comment gives us the opportunity to look again – just to be sure.  Best to get it right now.
    • Comment 39 (and other comments on the first sentence of clause 99), point out that the ‘simple edit’ proposed would make a complex sentence subject to misinterpretation.  We received several comments on the issue, so I am proposing a substantial rephrasing of the sentence, splitting it up into multiple simpler, more-direct sentences.  Note that the ‘pair of MACs’ in clause 99 refers to the eMAC and pMAC at a each end of the link (hence there are actually 4 MACs in the entire link), however, as in the original, the ones on the other end of the point-to-point link are not counted:

Replace the first sentence of 99.1 (with appropriate change marks and change instruction from the base text), to read:

"This clause specifies an optional MAC Merge sublayer for use on a point-to-point link with a pair of MACs and a single PHY operating on a point-to-point link. The clause is applicable to full-duplex operation with 10BASE-T1L (Clause 146) and 10BASE-T1S (Clause 147) PHYs and all PHYs 100 Mb/s and above. It is also applicable to half-duplex point-to-point operation with the 10BASE-T1S (Clause 147) PHY, but operation with the 10BASE-T1S PHY in multidrop mode is not specified."

I suggest we use the reflector to discuss and reach consensus on any alternative proposals for rewording this first sentence prior to the meeting, rather than try to draft text during the meeting.

-george

George A. Zimmerman, Ph.D.

President & Principal

CME Consulting, Inc.

Experts in PHYSical Layer Communications

Technical Committee Chair, Ethernet Alliance

Member, NFPA National Electrical Code Codemaking Panel 3

Member, IEEE 802.3 Ethernet Working Group, IEEE 802 Executive Committee