[802.3_SPEP2P] Low Latency vs. Longer reach

Hi Ronald,

A long answer to your question.

I am not saying we don’t do long reach nor defocus on doing long reach.

What I am advocating is we should not compromise the solution for

low latency just to do long reach with a single PHY since the low latency

is the majority of the market.

My solution to the conflicting requirements of low latency vs long reach is to

define 2 PHYs where the cost burden to build a dual mode PHY is minimized

rather than a compromised PHY where one size fits all.

This way for low latency we meet latency requirements and get a bonus of FEC

while for long reach we get the longest distance that we can.  All while contain

the incremental cost of a dual mode PHY to a minimum.

I’ll present a proposal in the next meeting.

Thanks,

William

------

William – your suggestion is to focus more on low latency and not longer reach. What reach are you considering?