Re: [802.3_SPEP2P] Question on 8b10b to PAM4

Hi TingTing,

If we interleave, that will really increase the latency if FEC is turned on for the long reach case.

Roughly back of the envelope the lengths of the RS-frame is about 7000ns.  And let’s say

the remaining algorithm latency is about 1000ns.  So we start with a PHY with 8000ns algorithm latency.

If we interleave 2x then we need twice the time to accumulate the data for the syndrome calculation

hence 8000ns + 7000ns = 15000ns.  This is not a good tradeoff in my opinion.

The 100BASE-T1 3B2T code is not intrinsically safe and it was not designed to be.

The only thing reducing the probability of DC accumulation is it has a decent scrambler.

If we get a run of nothing but say 000, 001, 011 or alternatively 111, 110, 100 the unbalance is going to accumulate.

Thanks,

William