[10GBASE-CX4] Comments on initial draft of 10GBASE-CX4 PMD

Howard and all,

First of all, my apologies for jumping in somewhat late on this discussion.  I appreciate all the work that has gone into 10GBASE-CX4 to date, and I hope my comments will be received as they are intended -- as constructive.

I will list several specific comments below, but my overall not-so-hidden agenda is to persuade the group not to abandon the XAUI compliance interconnect concept and to avoid required TX near-end measurements.  I offer three reasons for  this:

  1. (The practical reason)  Near-end TX waveforms have maximum high frequency content, exciting any and all fixture resonances.  Hence near-end measurements -- especially with restrictive templates -- can be a nightmare of small excursions outside the template.  Yet these high frequency aberrations are attenuated by the transmission path and affect the far-end signal quality very little if at all.  Far end measurements are much more benign and to the point.
  2. (The theoretical reason)  A jitter budget, with jitter increasing down the transmission path made sense for trapezoidal  waveforms, but not for pre-emphasized TX waveforms.  With pre-emphasis, the jitter can be better at the far end of the path than at the TX output.  Specifying such TX waveforms to guarantee an adequate RX waveform is complex and sensitive to assumptions.
  3. (The time-to-market reason)  It appears inevitable that the RX will require additional equalization compared with XAUI.  Hence, keeping the TX specifications as close as possible to XAUI(at least in format) would seem to offer the lowest risk, fastest route to market for 10GBASE-CX4.
For what it's worth, a compliance channel approach to TX specs would also render the issue of minimum TX amplitude irrelevant.

Here are some specific comments on sections of the draft:

Again, apologies for the last minute comments.

Regards,
Mike

--
 Mike Jenkins               Phone: 408.433.7901            _____
 LSI Logic Corp, ms/AH260     Fax: 408.433.2840        LSI|LOGIC| (R)